Grade level: 2-8
Equipment: Hula hoops
Game Description: Communication is key in this game, as birds try to leave their tree nests safely so that the hunter hawks cannot land in them. Using hula hoops as the tree nests, students communicate and switch spots, but might end up becoming a hunter hawk looking for a new home.
- Place lots of hula hoops on the floor.
- Players stand 1 in each hula hoop. Those are the birds in their nests.
- All hula hoops must be occupied. There cannot be any open ones left on the floor.
- 2 players will start as the Hunter Hawks. They will NOT be in hula hoops to start.
- On the signal, the birds will try to communicate with eachother (wink, hand up, nod, or voice) and try to successfully switch homes.
- If a bird leaves his home, he can’t turn around and go back – he MUST attempt to switch with the person he communicated with.
- The Hunter Hawks will try to quickly sneak into an open home when they see one.
- If a bird is left without a home because a hunter hawk has taken it, then he is now a hunter hawk!