Grade level: 2-8
Equipment: Cones, 2 batons
Game Description: Another math and physical education combo – this game matches up 2 teams, both of which need to be ready to use their mental math skills. The quicker the brain and feet are ready to work, the more points a team can earn. Or if you prefer to not have a point system, just let the players go at it.
- Create two teams. Each team starts in a line on opposite sides of the gym.
- In the middle of the 2 teams, place cones. Each cone must have a different number on it (attach a paper so that both teams can see the number).
- The basic idea is this: the teacher will call out a math equation, and the students will try to be the first to run to the cone that contains the correct answer, and then back to their team.
- The first player in each line will start with a baton or stick. Those players compete for the first equation.
- The team who loses can do 5 jumping jacks or different action.
- The batons are then passed to the next players in line for the next equation.
- Etc, etc, the game continues on in that fashion.
- Have fun, and practice some basic math skills at the same time!