Grade level: 4-8
Equipment: Pinnies, 2 mats
Game Description: In the PE strategy game Yoshi, teams attempt to be the first to get all of their players on the opposite island. Similar strategy to that of Capture The Flag, this game requires some thinking, timing, and teamwork to get everyone over first without getting caught. It’s a tag-based game with different variables to consider. Very, very enjoyable game.
- Place exercise mats down on opposite ends of the gym.
- Create two teams, one on each half of the gym.
- Players will attempt to be the first team to get all of their players onto the mat on the opposite side.
- Players can get tagged when in the opposite teams half, so this is where they need to be careful! If tagged, players sit where tagged.
- Sitting players can be ‘saved’ by teammates who safely and successfully get to them without themselves getting tagged. When saved, both get a free walk back to their side.
- Players can leave the mat to save someone they see sitting, however, then must take the free walk back to their side.
- If the teacher yells, “YOSHI” then all players make a mad rush to the mat (even if they were sitting, they can get up and run to the mat).
- First team with all players on the mat wins. Start a new round!