Grade level: 2-8
Equipment: Letters on poster paper
Game Description: Scrabble is a spelling game for P.E. A great way to incorporate literacy into your physical education program! Teams will set-up in a relay style, grab letters, spell words, and add up points. Movement, literacy, numeracy, and team-building all in one.
- Some prep work must be done first: create a bunch of letters on poster paper (especially common letters and vowels).
- For each letter, you can choose to also write a point value if you’d like to. This is not needed, however.
- Place the pile of letter pages face down on one end of the gym.
- On the other end of the gym, create a few teams who will stand in their line, relay style.
- On the signal, the first player from each team will run down, pick up a page, and return with it to the team.
- When player returns, the next player goes and does the same thing. Etc, etc.
- Teams use their letters to try and spell words. Either words of choice or 4-letter or 5-letter, or themed words, etc.
- Play with or without a point system. Play as often as desired.
- Have fun!